- Have you experienced a traumatic event or events that are causing current distress?
- Did you grow up in a chaotic, abusive, or alcoholic family?
- Does one of your parents struggle with a mental illness?
- Do you ever have reactions to life events that feel stronger or more intense than what you would expect, given the situation?
We will start with a thorough assessment and develop a trauma treatment plan that is designed for you.
Trauma based therapy typically includes some of the following approaches:
- developing an understanding how trauma is currently showing up in your life
- body/mindfulness-based interventions to foster safety and security
- psychoeducation on how the brain impacts feelings and behavior
- ego-state work or understanding “parts” of your personality
EMDR is used to overcome traumas, experiences, and beliefs that continue to create turmoil in our lives—these may stem from childhood events or may include recent life events. To learn more about EMDR go to https://www.emdria.org/page/emdr_therapy
I have witnessed EMDR help people overcome a variety struggles including: fears/phobias, disturbing memories/events, embedded beliefs, and chronic shame.
Sometimes people come to therapy knowing they want EMDR therapy and are clear what traumas they want to heal. If you are uncertain about EMDR or do not understand it, I will help you decide whether it may be an effective treatment approach. EMDR is not for everyone, but many people find it remarkably effective in dealing with a variety of issues.